The current world situation is tense. The Russian-Ukrainian war has lasted beyond six months. The war is tragic and cruel. The scattered Ukraine refugees not only affects the whole of Europe but also stresses the global economy, especially with food and energy shortage and world-wide inflation. NATO and EU member states led by the U.S. not only avoided cease fire talks but instead encouraged a protracted war, expecting Ukraine to counterattack and expand the war to Crimea and even into Russia. At the same time, the U.S.-China confrontation has also risen from a trade war to an all-out sanction from technology to finance. What's more, the U.S. has the intention of replicating the Russian-Ukrainian war model in the Taiwan Strait. The U.S. also tried to stimulate a diplomatic (and military if possible) alliance against China by wavering her stand on the One China Principle and selling weapons to Taiwan.
The latest Pelosi's visit to Taiwan further trampled on China's red line, causing China to draw its sword, executing a series of live-fire military exercises to demonstrate her ability to completely surround the entire Taiwan island with air and sea power. China used the opportunity to train the PLA's preparations for future military operations in the Taiwan Strait, and created a fait accompli that allowed the PLA to cross the Strait’s center line and reach the entire island at will. Challenging Mainland China’s redline by the U.S. and Taiwan has made the 1.4 billion Chinese people raging and raising their voice of reunification with Taiwan by force. The U.S. Republican lawmakers also followed Pelosi to visit Taiwan to gain anti-China popularity or to gain votes for the coming November election (or simply to attack Biden and Pelosi) have further heightened tensions across the Taiwan Strait. Singapore Prime Minister Lee Hsien Loong, former U.S. Secretary of State Kissinger and many U.S. think tank analysts have made statements worrying and warning that the situation in the Taiwan Strait is too dangerous, possibly leading to a third world war and a disastrous situation for Taiwan. However, the ruling Democratic Progressive Party (DPP) in Taiwan chose to cover up the true significance of the PLA's live-fire military exercises by whitewashing peace, reporting fake news, and misleading the public. It is incredible that the DPP is placing the lives and properties of 23 million people on a sure losing bet.
At this dangerous juncture, how should the US, China and Taiwan handle this dangerous situation then? Many international political commentators have indicated that the U.S. is the initiator who should solve the problem. However, both political parties in the U.S. now rely on blaming China for excuses for government dysfunction. Populism (on anti-China) has become the medicine for the ills of the U.S. The decades of influence and control of Taiwan politics by the U.S. have turned Taiwan into a pro-US state. ‘Holding the thigh of the U.S. for security and dancing with the U.S. China policy’ are two phrases used by overseas Chinese to describe The Taiwan government, making most Chinese Americans embarrassed uneasy. Taiwan actually would disregard its own interests to participate in the rebuild of the U.S. semiconductor industry by suppressing and sanctioning the mainland chip business. This kind of behavior is just as irrational as the behavior of suicide bombers.
It is no wonder that Prime Minister Lee of Singapore would issue a warning to his citizens. Judging from the current situation, the U.S. and Taiwan are both in a sleep-walk state as some political analysts stated. Thus, Mainland China must take clear and fast measures to wake up the people of Taiwan and quickly overturn the ignorant policies of the DPP and KMT to resolve the cross-strait reunification issue. The author believes that the Mainland China must employ the modern network information technology backed with advanced military power to create a rapid peaceful democratic reunification process, in the shortest time possible, to achieve information dissemination, to conduct psychological education, to make accurate survey studies, to identify and eradicate traitors (pro-independence), and to rally citizens to complete the reunification. How can this be done with information technology? The author believes that a two-dimensional identification code solution - a education website with survey application and reunification promotion) can do the job. This peaceful reunification model is explained as follows:
The Taiwan Affairs Office of the Mainland China shall immediately develop and launch an official plan for carrying out a democratic peaceful reunification process (establishing an educational information website to survey and organize the citizens to achieve reunification). The major elements are as follows:
1. The Mainland China launches a QR code application (2D identification code) for democratic peaceful reunification for Taiwan compatriots (anyone above 16 years old). Every Taiwan compatriot is encouraged to use his or her mobile phone to scan the 2D code to register or download from a computer. The registrant can get 20 yuan (RMB) as a remuneration for registration (registration to watch information and commercial advertisements and engage in surveys and win awards).
2. The significance of democratic reunification (1c2s, one country two systems) and the summary of reunification process explained. After the registrant read and answered the questions, those with passing score would receive a 30 yuan shopping coupon. Follow-up educational information dissemination will be carried out with merchant shopping reward coupons to encourage citizens to partake and complete the psychological education for reunification. This educational program can be handled at different times and levels with a mandate of completion in six to eighteen months to ultimately achieve the goal of reunification.
3. Broadcast and Referral of This QR Code App to Other Taiwan compatriots. After a referral registration is confirmed, one would receive a 5-yuan reward deducted from the new registrant's initial remuneration of 20 yuan. An additional 10-yuan merchandise shopping coupon would also be issued to the recruiter.
4. Statistical survey and promotion of democratic reunification. The Taiwan Affairs Office proposes a plan and timetable for democratic reunification. Participants in the survey can get a shopping coupon (for example 500 RMB towards buying an electric car), sponsored by different advertisers. Such surveys can be held periodically and progressively to build consensus on reunification. The survey results with increasing number of participants are published to anticipate the completion of a successful survey (reunification) within two years.
5. Statistics of peaceful democratic reunification guarantees smooth unification in Taiwan. The Taiwan Affairs Office selects a time-table to complete the survey along with a back-up plan to eliminate stubborn anti-China elements in Taiwan so that an ultimate peaceful democratic reunification can be achieved. Anyone who is opposed to reunification can elect to leave Taiwan or to receive legal settlement after reunification. For precaution, this unified plan will include a military operation to handle any violent opposition to reunification. The results of the surveys will lead to a peaceful democratic reunification and the military action will eliminate any resistance if ever happens.
The above proposal is based on the principle of achieving a peaceful democratic reunification between Mainland and Taiwan. The educational process through a democratic survey should guarantee a successful peaceful reunification. The Taiwan Strait separation is a domestic issue for China. Based on historical, political and economic reasons, Mainland and Taiwan should be ultimately reunified. Hence adopting a peaceful democratic reunification plan is logical. Unfortunately, there exists some external influence and some internal resistance, hence a back-up military plan is necessary. Taiwan recently proposed a so-called 'data technology' budget, with the purpose of expanding its cyber army to influence elections. From the point of view of overseas Chinese, especially American Chinese, on international affairs, it is unrealistic to expect the U.S. to change its foreign policy toward China nor the current DPP party in Taiwan to reverse its independence plot. Delaying action in reunification will be detrimental and disadvantageous to China, Taiwan and their citizens. Therefore, China must adopt a rapid peaceful democratic reunification plan with back-up military forces to deal with the cross-strait reunification issue.
Ifay Chang. Ph.D., Inventor, Author, TV Game Show Host and Columnist (www.us-chinaforum.org) as well as serving as Trustee, Somers Central School District.